Monday, January 9, 2012

Soup Nazi:Rome Style

Today I had my first semi-bad experience in Rome.  I did not have class in the morning, so myself and a few other students went out for pizza at a small shop near our school.  I walked inside, ordered my food and the lady weighed my pizza and quickly spatted out my price.  Even in English I would not have known what she said.  She said my price and then ran off to the oven to warm up my slice.  When it came time to pay, she looked at me like I had three heads when I had no idea what the price was.  Her response..."Uhhh? (Insert open-mouth look and bulged out eyes).  I politely said I misunderstood and she rudely pushed back the extra money I gave her.

The eateries in Rome remind me of the Soup Nazi episode from Seinfeld.  You order, step aside, pay, step aside.  Ask no questions, say nothing, and keep on walking.  I unfortunately learned this the hard way.  Mess up this process and...NO SOUP FOR YOU!  I am slowing learning the way things work here.  It is only a matter of time until I will be doing as the Romans do!


      "Experience: the most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn."
             ~C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment