Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cliches Collide

This one is for you Andrew ;)
By definition a shoobie is a term used in South Jersey to describe a tourist who visits the seashore for a day (a daytripper), primarily to use the beach during the summer months.  Living down the shore I have always been a person that is not particularly fond of shoobies.  They bring far too much stuff to the beach, and no matter how much sand is around you, they insist on sitting on top of you.  Don't even get me started with work!  "I am sorry ma'am, could you point out a pretty bagel, because they all look pretty to me!"  However, the second I arrived at the Fiumicino airport in Rome, I felt like the biggest shoobie.  It was bad enough that my last meal in America was  at the fine dinning establishment of McDonald's; however, I could not have been more American when I arrived at the airport in my fuchsia peacoat and my neon pink Nikes.  I stuck out like a sore thumb.  But the more time I spend in the city, the more I learn how to do as the Roman's do.  Live and learn.

Ciao!


     "Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air."
                ~Ralph Waldo Emerson



“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…”

No comments:

Post a Comment