Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Settling In

As I begin to settle into Italy, I am slowly figuring out my likes and dislikes.  Italy is an ancient city, filled with beautiful Roman architecture; yet, these timeless buildings are COVERED in graffiti...about soccer.  The streets are also filled with dog poop!  People dress their dogs up in frilly sweaters; nevertheless, they don't clean up after them.  However, on my way to class, I found someone who broke from the Italian tradition of not cleaning up after your dog.  To the lady with the golden retriever, I thank you for helping to keep my new city clean!

One of my favorite things about my experience thus far has been my classes.  Although they all require a lot of work, they all take place at a different location in the city which makes the work totally worth it.  My favorite class in particular is Dr. Crispin Corrado's Art and Architecture class.  She is an absolutely fabulous teacher.  Megan, a friend from class, and I are obsessed with her.  She is a classical archaeologist who specializes in Roman art. She has been a cultural intern at numerous museums all over the world and has even excavated in Pompeii.  Literally one of the coolest people I know, and has the sweetest personality as well.  I look forward to her class every week.  We unfortunately only meet once a week for three hours, but it is the best three hours of the week!  Her catch phrase during her lectures is, "Are you loving it?!"  She says it with such enthusiasm and passion that you can't help but love it!

    "Are you loving it?!"
            ~Crispin Corrado

No comments:

Post a Comment