Friday, January 13, 2012

Picture This

Today we had to get our permesso di soggiorno (permit to stay in Italy).  From what we have heard, we knew this was going to be a long process.  Everyone that already processed theirs said they waited over two hours...oh boy.  We arrived at the post office, and it looked just a DMV.  The lines were long and the people were miserable. However, after waiting about five minutes, I ran into my friends Erin and Aaron and they told us there was a guy in the back who would process our permit without us even waiting.  Not only did we get to skip the massive line, but this guy was a trip!  Picture this: black suspenders with white music notes, German flag patches on his shirt, sideburns, a handlebar mustache, and George Costanza bald.

 I walk up with one other person from our program and Luigi (that is what we called him) asks his first question, "You Irish?"
Eric-"...No, German."
Me-"I am Irish."
Luigi-"Last name?"
Me-"Stephens."
Luigi-"Hmm ok."

Looks at my address and goes, "You live with a Daveres? (My friend Erin who was here earlier today).

Luigi-"Is she here?  Where is she at?  Is she over there (points to the waiting area.)?  She came with a little friend (Aaron).  Where are they?  Is your school Catholic?

Me-(In my head "Well, obviously....")
Luigi-"Uh nuns!  I hated Catholic School."

Once he sees my home address, this begins a whole other adventure.  He is also from the States, Connecticut...but apparently he isn't allowed back for a year.  He misses the maple syrup and marshmallows though...whatever that means.

Luigi-"New Jersey, HA!  Where in New Jersey?"
Me-"Atlantic City."
Luigi-"I've been there in the summer."
Me-(I give a sigh that clearly expresses that everyone comes in the summer.)
Luigi-"Near the ocean right?  Bruce Springsteen!  He wrote a song about there.  Where is he from though?"

Erin and Aaron show up and he was thrilled!  He told me that Erin and I had the same appointment time and I responded cool.

Luigi-"Your accent is so Jersey...cool."  (Shakes his head.)

I finished my permesso in under 20 mins and as an added bonus I got to experience Luigi, the Springsteen loving German American.


    "Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty, and meet me tonight in Atlantic City."
              ~Bruce Springsteen

No comments:

Post a Comment