Friday, January 6, 2012

Move Aside Sista; There's A New Girl In Town!

Today is The Feast of The Epiphany and we were lucky enough to recieve tickets to go to mass at the Vatican.  We headed to the church and were about to go through secrutiy when two nuns got behind us in line.  Not only did this sister cut the line, but she proceeded to push me out of the way.  Woah! Woah! Woah! Now, hold up!  I know we are going to see the Pope, but this pushing and shoving in not very holy!  Move over sista; there's a new girl in town.  We went inside, and words cannot explain the beautiful architecture.  It was breathtaking.








I wish my Grandmother was able to see this; she would absolutely love it!  We found a seat close to the aisle and sat down.  An hour and a half later mass began....and who walks in but Pope Benedict.  Actually, let me rephrase that, who rolls in like a boss, The Pope, that's who!  The majority of mass was in Latin, with some variations in Polish and Italian.  It was also two and half hours long, but worth every second.  Although it was not in English, I was still able to understand a few things.



During mass, I looked in front of me and realized my roommate Janell, who I had yet to see, was sitting right in front of me.  What a wonderful surprise to see her familiar face amongst an unfamiliar crowd.  I have to say though, the best part of mass was Communion.  A two-year-old child brought the gifts up to The Pope and distribution began.  This had to be one of the most disorganized communions I have ever attended.  Once we went up for communion, we were not allowed to receive the Eucharist in our hands, but rather straight in our mouth.  This was a new experience for me, so of course I licked the priest's hand.  Of course!  Only me, in the Vatican, in the presence of Pope Benedict.






After Mass, Pope Benedict proceeded out of the church only a few feet away from me!  After mass, we headed outside and realized there were thousands of people that did not even make it inside the church, and I saw the Pope up close and personal!  Unreal.  We ended our morning with paninis and cappuccino.  What a whirl wind of a day!



Pace!

           "Peace comes from within.  Do not seek it without."
                     ~Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment