Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Romeo Romeo Romeo Where for art thou Romeo?

Yesterday, after Art & Architecture class, Jason, Megan and I stumbled  upon a theatre.  I saw they were doing a production of Romeo and Juliet.  The Shakespeare lover in me couldn't resist the opportunity to see this play.  I rushed home and found out there were tickets  still available for $11.00!  The production only had two more days left and since I was leaving for Austria on Thursday I had to see the show on Wednesday.

The show was absolutely amazing!!  I mean it is Shakespeare, so how could it not be?  The show was in Italian and since I have read this play numerous times before, and my Italian is improving, I understood most of what they were saying.

"Romeo Romeo, dove per l'arte sei tu Romeo."

But honestly, this play could have been in sign language and I would have loved it.  The actors were all spectacular, especially Juliet.  She had such excitement and exuberance in her actions.  There was one part, however, where we all were hysterically laughing at the acting.  After they realize Juliet is dead...sorta (sorry if I ruined the ending, but if you haven't read this play, you are missing out on life), Lady Capulet enters to mourn her daughter's death.  Midway through the scene, her shoe falls off.  Right as Lady Capulet is about to exit with Capulet pulling her arm, she turns back for her shoe and throws her arms in the air like, "Yes, I have my beloved shoe!  The show can now go on."  I found it hilarious that she was more concerned with her shoe than with her daughter's death.

"Ma morbido! Che la luce attraverso le rotture da quella finestra?  E 'l' Oriente e Giulietta e il sole!  Sorgi bel sole e uccidi la luna invidipsa.  E 'oriete, e Giulietta e il sole."
What I love about Shakespeare is that his plays can be transformed into anything.  The ending of the play was unlike any adaptation I have ever seen.  The final scene began with Romeo and Juliet...dead on the floor.  My initial reaction...woah, woah, woah, they skipped a whole scene!  What they actually did was have a flashback to everyone's death via Friar Lawrence (as he was on trial) to let the families know how they all died.

At the end of the show, the cast took their bow.  They ran off and then, of course, came right back for a second bow.  This happened another three-four times. LOL!  With each bow, Romeo came strolling out last.  He had such swag.  By the last bow, I was surprised he even came out.  All in all, this was a great find.  My love for Shakespeare is officially complete.




   "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
                     ~William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment