Monday, February 13, 2012

And We're Back on Track!

Today is our rescheduled trip to Tuscany.  This morning was also the day I returned from Austria.  The Tuscany trip left on Sunday, so I had to by my own ticket to Arezzo and meet them there.  I went straight from my Austrian train to my terminal for Arezzo.  I soon found out that my train to Arezzo had been cancelled...now what?  Another train was leaving in a hour and a half, so I had to roll with the punches and take that one.  My main concern was that I wasn't going to arrive in time to go to the Castle in Arezzo for our wine tasting.  

I finally arrived in Arezzo and ran into another student from our program.  We headed to the hotel and made it back just in time for the wine tasting.  The wine tasting was held at Castello Del Trebbio.  We had a guided tour by the castle owner's cousin; he was hilarious.  He cracked a joke at every opportunity possible.  He told us that the castle often hosts weddings.  They provide everything, the flowers, music, food, even the bride and groom!  He took us into the conspiracy room where the Patsy family planned to kill the Medici's.  No one has ever been brave enough to get married in that room except for one person three months ago.  He pointed to his ring finger.  He was the only one to ever get married in that room.  After the wine tasting, we had dinner and dessert, bought wine, and later headed back to the hotel.

The next day we headed to Pienza and visited the sights there before our stop in Orvieto.  While in Orvieto, we visited numerous churches, including the Duomo, and the Church of St. Andrea.  Afterwards, we had lunch at a quaint restaurant.  I told them I was allergic to nuts; however, after taking two bits I realized what was inside.  I sent my food back and the chef came out and apologized for the mistake and took the meal of my bill.  I unfortunately didn't have time to wait for another meal, so we just paid our bill and headed to the Duomo.  After we visited the Duomo I wasn't feeling well, so I bought a few post cards, and then headed to the bus to head home.  Overall, Tuscany was absolutely beautiful!  I missed our day in Sienna, but I heard it was gorgeous, so I will have to plan a day trip sometime in the near future.



     "What is the definition of a good wine?  It should start and end with a smile."
                ~William Sokolin

No comments:

Post a Comment