Monday, March 26, 2012

Cinque Terre

Over the weekend, my Mom, and my brother came to visit.  Upon coming to Rome, I was talking with a friend of mine who studied abroad in Rome and I told her all the places I was planning on visiting.  I asked her if there was anywhere I should add or take out from my list.  She loved my list; her only recommendation was that I add in Cinque Terre.  She said the views are absolutely stunning, and she was right.  I knew this would be the perfect place to bring my family.  I read that you could hike through the five cities, and knowing me, I love a good hike!  The hike was only supposed to be about 7 miles for 4 hours, which was the perfect distance for a leisurely hike.  Our hike, however, ended up being 25 miles for 7 hours.  Woops!  I have to say though, it was amazing.  There isn't much to say about the hike other than the fact that the views were unbelievable.  There were moments when we were literally scaling a mountain where there was no path to follow.  Moments when I worried if we were ever going to see civilization again, or if the trail was ever going to descend rather than take us higher up the mountain, and times when I worried if I was ever going to make it back to Rome in one piece.  However, I did!  After 7 hours of hiking, I finally saw land I recognized and I ran from that point on.  The entire weekend was spent wondering through each of these quaint port cities admiring each new view that lied around every corner.  I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story...



















     "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment